Which Mental Health Professional Should I See?

which mental health professional should i see

When you need mental help, you need to know which mental health professional to see. There are different types of professionals, including licensed clinical social workers, therapists, and psychologists. You will need to be able to select the right one for you, especially if you are dealing with an addiction, or other serious issue.


Many people are unsure of which mental health professional to see when they have a problem. The best way to find the right one is to make sure you understand their qualifications and areas of expertise.

A psychiatrist is a trained medical professional who is qualified to help you with your mental health. They can offer you psychotherapy, medications, and other treatment options.

A psychologist, on the other hand, is a clinical professional who has been trained in a variety of therapies. Some psychologists specialize in helping you cope with a divorce, a death in the family, or other life changes.

Both can be effective in helping you manage your problems. However, a psychologist is also more likely to help you overcome the underlying causes of your symptoms.

In addition to analyzing your symptoms, a psychologist will take a look at your personal and family history. These factors will allow them to formulate a more accurate plan for your treatment.

Licensed clinical social worker

The licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) is a mental health professional who helps individuals and families who are in need of help. LCSWs provide a wide range of services, including assessment, case management, and treatment. They also teach clients how to handle life’s challenges.

In addition to these basic roles, LCSWs may specialize in working with a specific segment of a community. For example, they may work with patients who are experiencing trauma. These professionals also conduct direct person-to-person therapy.

LCSWs may work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, private practice, and community agencies. Depending on their training and experience, they may provide psychotherapy, counseling, assessment, or case management. Some clinical social workers may also provide indirect practice, such as providing educational resources or referrals.

While the qualifications to become a licensed clinical social worker vary from state to state, most states require a master’s degree. Additionally, LCSWs must have supervised work experience in order to become certified.

Professional counselor

Professional counselors help individuals overcome a variety of issues. They can address a number of concerns including stress, mental illness, and addiction. These therapists use various techniques, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, to treat their clients.

Many states require a master’s degree in counseling for licensed professional counselors. The degree is typically a two-year program. In addition to the education, students must complete supervised fieldwork. This includes participating in community-based practicum opportunities and applying theories of human development and psychopathology.

Master’s-prepared counselors can work in a variety of settings. For example, they may work in substance abuse centers, hospitals, or social service agencies. Increasingly, these professionals can also find employment in schools and religious institutions.

Substance abuse counselors work with clients who have problems with alcohol or other drugs, as well as with those who are suffering from food or sex addictions. They may use court-ordered treatment or 12-step programs to help their clients.

A licensed professional counselor can diagnose and treat mental illnesses, including depression and anxiety. However, they cannot prescribe medication to their clients.

Marriage and family therapist

Marriage and family therapists work with families and couples in order to resolve conflicts, improve relationships, and restore emotional well-being. They treat a wide range of clinical issues, including anxiety, depression, and addiction. In addition to working in a private practice, marriage and family therapists may provide services in hospitals, mental health centers, and other settings.

To become a marriage and family therapist, you’ll need a master’s degree in psychology. You’ll also have to complete supervised clinical experiences, as well as take a state-recognized exam. The length of your career depends on your state’s licensing requirements, which vary widely.

In most states, you’ll need to complete at least two years of post-graduate supervised clinical experience before being eligible for licensure. Once you’re licensed, you’ll have to continue your education through continuing educational courses, which are typically required annually. This helps ensure that you stay up-to-date on therapeutic techniques.

Although you may be interested in other mental health careers, such as social work or nursing, marriage and family therapy is a very rewarding option. Many people who choose this profession have a strong desire to help others.